Does Snickers Really Satisfy?
This session has really nothing to do with junk food, but it does deal with junk.
The question posed is, “Do we understand what satisfaction really is?” Junk food promises
a lot, but leaves you empty. What is junk food? It is calorie dense, and nutritionally poor.
Consumption of junk food is astronomical in our society today, and is related to many
diseases such as diabetes, obesity, and depression.
How does a person stop eating junk?
- Clean out the pantry – If it’s not there, it’s not eaten.
- People eat what they crave – Small amounts of junk still awaken a big desire.
- Cravings only last a short while – Get active in things that interest you.
“Sexual addiction is emotionally high, but it deals with poor coping skills for life’s challenges.” - Adrian “Coach” Harris
So, what does this have to do with men and the issues of pornography? We are men in
a sexual world with many sexual stimulants all around us. Men must realize that porn,
like junk food, promises a lot of things, but will leave you empty. Pornography will give a
chemical high, but will leave you emotionally poor.
Pornography consumption in America is astronomical. The New York Times
Magazine ran a cover story on May 18 called “Naked Capitalists: There’s No Business Like
Porn Business.” It states that pornography is big business with $10 billion to $14 billion in
annual sales. The author, Frank Rich, suggests that pornography is bigger than any of the
major league sports, perhaps bigger than Hollywood. Porn is “no longer a sideshow to the
mainstream…it is the mainstream,” he writes. (Rich)
Some people crave junk food because they are exposed to it. This is no different than porn. When you are exposed to porn, it robs you of your innocence.
Shame and Guilt
“You can’t finish well in life, if you don’t deal with the wounds in your life.” - Adrian “Coach” Harris
Guilt says, "I did something wrong." Shame says, "There is something wrong with me."
How to Get Rid of the Cravings
- Clean out the pantry: Go through your files, your computer, and put in some filters so you cannot access the materials. Expose it!
- People crave what they've been eating. If you indulging or even taking small bites of
pornography; you will crave what you eat.
- Don't talk the same way. Watch your language and how you portray yourself.
- Understand the cravings won't last long. Get out of that situation or area. Go for a walk. Tackle something on your "to do" list.
Change how you're feeding yourself, if you want to get healthy. Change the way you eat.
Q: Have you cleaned out your pantry? What filters are in place?
Q: List some things you could do when you have a craving.